September 18, 2018

What Do You Do When You Have Nothing to Do?


I'll tell you! It's as simple as making a list!

Every morning, after breakfast and COFFEE, I sit down at the computer for at least 2 hours to write. Sometimes I get a lot of productive writing done, and sometimes I meander. But I'm always there. At the very least, I fill up my journal with nonsense and make a to-do list for the day.

Now, in that to-do list, I try to hit the big notes: write something, cook something, read something, clean or maintain something, work in the yard, and get some exercise. Of course, anything with a close deadline gets on the list. But otherwise, I keep it simple.

It's not like a person needs to be busy all day. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors averaged 2-5 hours of work a day to do everything necessary. Then they talked and played. With my system, I hit that easily. And then I'm done and satisfied. Easy.

And the rest of the hours? Whatever. The time passes quickly enough. Boredom isn't a problem in my house.

The 8 hour workday PLUS commuting and chores is just a century-old compromise between modern wage slaves and their masters. It's not sane, and it's not healthy.

Aren't I privileged!?