September 12, 2018

Via Instagram – September 12, 2018 at 10:16AM


This is supposed to be the easiest way to start a garden. Poke holes on the bottom side of the compost or soil bag, cut open the top side, and plant. We'll see how it works. At least, the plastic will kill the grass underneath to start a permanent bed. You can't see them, but I planted the root end of three grocery store onion bulbs in there. That's supposed to regenerate a new plant each. I'll be adding some cowpeas, which are soaking at the moment. In the paper egg carton are seeds for wild tomatoes -- yes, tomatoes have gone ferrel in the RGV. They're cherry tomato size, often yellow, and the plants are super hardy. Taste good, too. When the seedlings get big, I'll cut apart the egg carton and spread out the plants. Also today, I planted scarlet runner beans along two fences. Later this week, I'll start a potato bed, which will have more cowpeas and garlic, too. I think I'll make it a hugelkultur bed. Thats where the bottom layer is logs or other big wood pieces. We'll see. #permaculture #vegetablegarden #vegetablegardening #urbanhomestead #growyourownfood #rgv #lrgv

WARNING: I've since learned that this method works with garden soil or top soil bags, not pure compost. I may end up adding soil to to my compost to get these veggies the minerals they need. Or else I might transplant them once they get going. Haven't decided. At any rate, Google the soil bag growing method before you try it yourself.